NYC Taxi Guide
NYC Taxi Store
Skip Navigation Links
For-Hire VehiclesExpand For-Hire Vehicles
AuthorTopic
henestcabbie

(2 Posts) 3/13/2010 1:26:02 AM
Do you really want to scam your passenger ? YES/NO

TLC has revealed that more than 36.000 drivers has scammed their passengers, according to GPS records. Is this is the truth of New York City taxi drivers ?

In my opinion, the problem has two dimensions:

• Technological level: the system was not built to overcome human errors. In any machine program if you are about to submit a data or take action to do a process, you always asked a “yes/no” confirmation SO YOU DON'T HIT A BUTTON BY MISTAKE and not know what is the result of it.

Now, let me explain how the problem happen: To turn on the meter you press two buttons, the BUTTON 1 that indicate the local city fare and the second BUTTON (1 - 5) to indicate the number of passengers. Up to here everything is fine. Now, If I press BUTTON 1 one more time the fare becomes out of the city limit of Westchester or Nassau Counties, the meter here start doubling and the problem begin.

The Question is, why would I want to press BUTTON 1 one more time?, the big question is why wouldn't I fix the extra button hit if I happen to hit it mistakenly ?

My answer to the first question is: I pick up my passenger, I get direction from the passenger, I have three things to multitask: MY HAND to start the meter, MY EYES to see the road and start moving, MY BRAIN to figure out the direction quickly, In addition I have to communicate with the passenger for a possible quick way and of course make sure of coming traffic. SO ALL THESE DISTRACTIONS MIGHT CAUSE ME RARELY TO KEEP MY HAND ON THE METER AND POSSIBLY HIT THE BUTTON 1 one more time !!!, so how frequently this might happen?, I have been driving for more than three years, I happen to have the problem 3 TIMES. I do an average of 25 trips a day so that's around 8000 to 9000 trip a year, so to me I have 0.01% chance to do the mistake !!!.

My answer to the second question, why wouldn't I fix the problem if this is happen? The answer is, THERE IS NO FIX, yes THERE IS NO FIX. Once you hit the Extra BUTTON you stack !!!!!!!!, you can't go back to the city fare. If I happen to notice this at the beginning of the trip, I do stop my meter and start over (wish TLC has given us data how many people did this). If I'm in the middle of the trip I do notify the passenger and tel him about the problem and I DO GIVE HIM COMPENSATION FOR THE EXTRA CHARGED MONEY !!!. so In reality I'm not scamming any body even the GPS record showed the out of city charge !!!!. If the program was designed to ask the driver to confirm the out of city charge, The problem is considered solved for the majority of these cases.

• THE SCAMMERS: If this happen frequently then the driver has to take responsibility of his actions. I'm surprised here why it took so long for TLC to discover this. All data are recorded and can be discovered anytime. Any driver who did this meaningfully and think he won't be discovered, he is no more than an IDIOT!!.

OTHER COMMON PROBLEM: When the passenger double charged for his credit card. Let me state the problem here: At the end of the trip when the passenger asks for receipt, The driver think the customer want to pay cash and press button to release a receipt. At this time the passenger surprisingly just start processing credit card, swipe the card, but no receipt comes out for credit card the only one was for cash. For the driver he won't be paid back by his garage for a credit card payment unless he has a credit card receipt. So the passenger has to do the transaction. Therefore, the passenger charged twice, the driver get paid once, the garage get an EXTRA payment!!!!

I urge drivers to talk about their experiences, we are not scammers. How many of you got ripped of by their passengers?, How many of you had passenger who refuses to pay the toll and run away?, How many of you had a passenger uses a credit card left the taxi to discover the card is DECLINNED?, How many of you has ripped of by his garage and TLC did nothing even there is a lease cap limit...

IT IS UP TO YOU DRIVERS TO MAKE THIS JOB GOOD OR WORST.

Cheers.

H.C

EXPIRED DRIVER

(1 Posts) 3/13/2010 5:05:16 PM
Re: Do you really want to scam your passenger ? YES/NO
Dear HenestCabbi  Please  do not take this personal and this is my opinion

My hack license just expired, and that was my plan since I received the renewal  letter  from the TLC two month ago,
after driving  for one whole year.
so I am a driver.

Your explanation of of making  mistake  by hitting  the worng button made no sense because you can always  correct
the situation by  ending the trip to cash, and start all over  again,  I do not know what system you work with but most
of the systems out there  you start with pressing  code # 1  ( nyc code),  and if you go out nyc limits  ( exit 32 if you going
east on LIE) you hit button # 4  which start the double charging, so please do not tell me you are such in a hurray
and you hit  # 1  one more time, I was a cab driver  5 days ago, and from my personal experience taxi drivers have
plenty of time to start a trip properly once they secured a passenger, do not forget all those hours going like crazy
trying to find a passenger.

Also your explanation  to the credit card  double payment made no sense,  because  once you hit cash the computer
automatically switch to the cash module, and eliminate the credit card module, and that is why  you get one cash receipt.
so remember  every time the credit card get charged you  will get a receipt with  a transaction  authorization  #  printed
and the last  4 digits of that credit card.

dear henest cabbi you know  I  know , there are  plenty  of dishonest  cab drivers, not  only in NYC  but world wide
and you know and  I know there are so many cab drivers will cut you to take your passenger, they will cut  you on line
they will do any thing  to get a fare before you, or take any fare from you.
Its war out there, in the following weeks we will see how those ignorant thieves  get  exposed, and you know
there will be mass hack  license  revocations,  if the TLC applied the  overcharge  rule   which is  your license
will be revoked  if you overcharge  any passenger  by  $ 10   or more !!!!!

henestcabbie

(2 Posts) 3/14/2010 10:12:31 AM

Hi EXPIRED DRIVER,

I wish you had read my full post before responding, especially my second answer to the problem. You said:

“Your explanation of of making mistake by hitting the worng button made no sense because you can always correct the situation by ending the trip to cash”

I think this action will stil record you as a Scammer in the eye of TLC even if you haven't charged the customer for the misuse of the meter. I hope you had read carefully what I said :

“My answer to the second question, why wouldn't I fix the problem if this is happen? The answer is, THERE IS NO FIX, yes THERE IS NO FIX. Once you hit the Extra BUTTON you stack !!!!!!!!, you can't go back to the city fare. If I happen to notice this at the beginning of the trip, I do stop my meter and start over (wish TLC has given us data how many people did this). If I'm in the middle of the trip I do notify the passenger and tel him about the problem and I DO GIVE HIM COMPENSATION FOR THE EXTRA CHARGED MONEY !!!. so In reality I'm not scamming any body even the GPS record showed the out of city charge !!!!. If the program was designed to ask the driver to confirm the out of city charge, The problem is considered solved for the majority of these cases.”

By the way I use taxitronic meter.

I think TLC has to do a little investigation before accusing all drivers of scamming !!

Cheers,

H.C

taxi2009

(37 Posts) 3/15/2010 10:41:40 AM

Taxi and limousine commision is really a stupid organisation,they have no respect for its 36000 drivers.they are the ones who approved the system and the programming of all taxis meters ,and they knew that drives may or may not accidently hit the wrong buton.as i know and asked  few drivers ,we re-start the meter and charge a regular price for  passengers and there is no one who could not realise that someting is wrong .most of  drivers printed fair receipts after hiting fonction 4 by mistake and there is no over charge in this case. drivers who goes to out of city like new jersey they set up a double meter charge with their passenger after city limit and they both agree .but taxi and limousine want to push some medallions owners for bankrupcy,by reducing the number of cab drivers.and re-gain medallions for re-sale.its a crime.the tactic it called:let them do it.so they can recover their medallions.and keep in mind that the gps system dosent give the reality of how much money collected from passengers.all drivers know the gps is recording all transaction ,but they collect only the exact money even the gps double charge by mistake.

MY QUESTION TO TAXI AND LIMOUSINE COMMISSION:JUST SHOW US THE NUMBERS HOW MUCH THESE DRIVERS MAKE A YEAR ?THEY KNEW WE MADE NOTHING .the gps never record drivers action and reaction and driver transactions.where they been for the last two years?.I beleive the city ows money for its drivers who work 70 hours a week and slaves them ?who work 70 hours just to pay rent,we want them to show us the income of all drivers

and you will suprise to death?in the news drivers return 1200 dlrs each a week. but if you pay the lease 800 drs and gaz , food and water ,you gonna take home 400 dlrs by working 70 hours wich 5.7 dlrs an hour and not paid overtime?we got to complain to the department of labor if you are underpaid by the city.

so if this is true why we are been charged 850 dlrs for cab lease night shift for example.so the companies shoold give money back to drivers because the cab lease was based on wrong income for drivers?so now i need my money back as a driver who paid an expensive lease based on a wrong income?we are scamed.

molinyc

(1 Posts) 7/11/2010 8:15:36 AM
please get a grip

Skip Navigation Links
Contact Us|
Advertise On Us|
Privacy Policy|
Terms Of Use|
RSS|
Your Account
© 2014 Yellow Smart, Inc.